Cool Exterior Colors
The exterior is one of the most important features of any home because it is the first thing that everyone sees when visiting or going past your home. Maintaining a beautiful exterior is important for the curb appeal of your home; It also is the first step in preserving the value of the house.
While updating your exterior can be fun, there are things you will want to consider when choosing the exterior color for your house.
- What are other people doing - Look online at paint combinations suggested by the professionals – Check out the neighborhood taking notes of colors you like. Make sure you research colors for the siding and trim along with patios, decks and porches
- What are the hottest colors right now? Look online at paint combinations suggested by the professionals check out this link for some examples:sherwin-williams.com
- Landscaping items – Do you have a lot of flowers or flowering plants? Do you have fountains or sculptures? They can be painted to match your new color scheme
- Do you want to blend in or stand out?
- Decide if you are going to paint or put on new siding
- Make sure if you are living in a Planned Urban Development – if you have covenants and guidelines outlining limitations on colors you can use - that you are aware of what they are
- LOOK UP! What color is your roof? You may pull a color out of the shingles from your roof
- Do you have a brick or stone as part of your “siding” can it be painted or should it be replaced to update it.
- You will want to choose a color scheme that will blend well with your environment. For example, a hot pink painted house may be beautiful on an island, yet that same color may stick out like a sore thumb in the city.
- Typically, it is best to pick a lighter color as dark shades tend to attract heat and can cause siding to buckle or warp in extreme heat. Sun damage is more noted in a darker color than in a lighter color. The standard neutral shades of tans, whites and creams work well with a variety of landscapes. Any lighter hue of your favorite color can work well.
When you are ready to work with a color scheme go to the store with pictures of your house along with the dimensions of each surface. Talk with the professionals about what your plans are and be open to their suggestions. These experts will be able to help you with: Budgeting for your project; Offer suggestions and other options for you to consider that you may not have been aware of; and connect you with local contractors who can do the work for you if you don’t want to do it yourself.