Please know that I am going to do my best to keep you safe during a showing and thank you in advance for allowing me to keep myself safe at the same time. Here are two situations that have arisen while I was showing houses to prospective buyers and how to handle them so everyone is safe:
1) Vicious “Pet” was loose in house: When this happens it is okay to set up another showing. I will contact the other agent and let them know about the situation. If someone can come take care of the pet and we have time to wait, great we won’t reschedule.
2) Vacant house wide open: DO NOT WALK IN! Please stay outside until we know it is safe to be there. Sometimes it is just carelessness by someone else who was in the house earlier – sometimes it is a person who broke into a property without permission. While the times this has happened to me the house was empty, it is better to be safe than sorry and stay out of the house.
I will also take precautions for my own safety as I do not always know the customers I am helping as well as I would like to know them at first. Please do not be offended if I do any of the following:
1) Bring someone with me to a showing. Typically, it will be my husband. He usually stays in the car, yet he is a great resource for some information that I may not have.
2) Carry my phone in with me. While I will avoid unnecessary interruptions, it is a safety net I prefer to not be without.
3) I always have at least 2 people who know where I am at all times and I do need to check in with them at certain times. I will do so especially if our showings are running late.
4) I have no issues dialing 911, or having someone else call 911 if the situation warrants it. People will call 911 with my location if I do not check in on time.
While the majority of people I work with are awesome, it is the one “bad apple” that can ruin things for everyone. I take these steps to help buyers not get injured during a showing and to keep myself safe. I do not want to end up like the REALTOR® in Arkansas who disappeared.
All that said, I truly enjoying show prospective homes to buyers and hope you will consider me when you are looking for your new home.